Saturday, August 11, 2007

DH's progress

Well he came home from the hospital on June 27th. He had to use a wheelchair to get around and tried to learn to use crutches. We also got a gizmo called a Turning Leg Caddy which is like a scooter set up for him to kneel with his bad leg on the scooter. He was feeling pretty good, unfortunately he was a little confused and forgetful at times. Every night he would make his nightly trek to the bathroom ON FOOT, yikes! For the first couple of weeks I managed to catch him most of the time and stop him from doing too much weight bearing but sometimes he was too quick and quiet for me to catch him. After a bit I think he may have gotten the notion that if he could stand the pain it must be okay to walk cause I caught him walking or at least partial weight bearing with the crutches more often. We had several heated discussions about this I can tell you. Well it caught up with him at his follow up appointment the end of July. The ankle had basically fallen apart, the dislocation was back. He had surgery last Wednesday to reconstruct/fuse his ankle. The doc put a cast on all the way up to his thigh with a bend at the knee. There is no way he can "accidentally put a little weight on it" He is still at the hospital. Doc wants him in a Care Center/ Rehab for at least 2 weeks till his follow up.

Additional: I have created a blog specifically to chronicle this adventure. It is now December and the adventure continues. See http://dsankle.blogspot.com/

No comments: